The Comparison Shows The Difference
HeaterMeals and MREs are often confused. While they are both shelf-stable, self-heating meals, the similarities end there.
- HeaterMeals Entrees are 50% Bigger than MREs 8 ounce entrees
- HeaterMeals show the meal on the packaging, creating appetite appeal
- Convenient serving tray included in every box
- Shelf-life ranging from one to five years to fit your needs
- Nutritionally formulated for everyday, civilian diets
- HeaterMeals Meal Kits contain Name-Brand snacks
We Hope You’ll Read The Label
The food in HeaterMeals Self-Heating Meals is not the same as the food found in MRE rations. Those are designed to sustain active, combat soldiers. To do that, MREs must contain higher calories and high levels of sodium, carbohydrates and fats to sustain a soldier’s energy levels.
The chart below details the nutritional differences between HeaterMeals 3 Self-Heating Meal Kits and a popular commercial MRE Ration*. HeaterMeals 3 Self-Heating Meal Kits are comparable to MREs since both contain an entree, snack items, and a powdered drink mix.
HeaterMeals are nutritionally designed for the diets of civilians. As a result, our food contains fewer calories, and lower levels of fats, carbohydrates and sodium. In fact, our sodium levels are 35% to 70% less than MREs.
This makes HeaterMeals more acceptable for a wider array of dietary needs.
HeaterMeals will always be there when you need them
All HeaterMeals Self-Heating Meals are shelf-stable food products that do not require refrigeration. Our four product lines each have varying shelf lives to meet your needs. The shelf life of a product is measured in years, and is based on the production date of that product. The temperature in which the product was stored can affect the shelf life.
Our food contains the freshest ingredients to prepare each and every meal. No preservatives are added, and no preservative process is used.
HeaterMeals uses Retort Packaging to achieve its long shelf-life, and to ensure greater retention of the food’s original aroma, texture, nutrients and flavor.
The food in HeaterMeals Entrees is fully cooked in a two step process:
- A HeaterMeals Entree is first cooked, packed and safety-sealed in a retort tray or a strong, flexible retort pouch; the container is then heated again at high temperatures under pressure.
- The second cooking step is much like the traditional canning process, ensuring your meal is ready-to-eat without refrigeration or freezing.
*Shelf-life of a product is based on the production date and storage temperature. Maximum shelf-lives are achieved through storage temperatures of 80 degrees Fahrenheit or less. Please consult the ‘Use By’ date found on each package.