Basic first aid skills are easy to learn, but they can mean the difference between life and death in medical emergencies. The videos below highlights the most commonly used skills for dealing with serious medical issues. This is essential knowledge for every American household. These skills can help contain an emergency situation until professional help arrives.
Be sure to share [link to SHARE anchor below] with your friends and family. You never know whose life could be saved!
CPR is an emergency procedure performed for victims who are suffering from cardiac arrest. These victims are unresponsive, and they are not breathing, or breathing abnormally.
• CPR for Adults (age 12+) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpfrEhktfAg
• CPR for Kids (ages 1-12) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gpLz2OCkig
• CPR for Infants (newborn to 1 year) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n65HW1iJUuY
• The Heimlich Maneuver is a series of abdominal thrusts used to dislodge food or other items lodged in a choking victim’s airway. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CgtIgSyAiU
• Shock is a life-threatening medical condition that results from low blood flow. It is unrelated to the emotional state of shock. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14–NBvGDjk
• Controlling blood loss is essential for victims of lacerations or other wounds. Rapid blood loss can lead to shock, and other complications. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8CYSFgBJiI
• A Stroke is a loss of brain function due to a disturbance in blood supply to the brain. Stroke is the second most frequent cause of death in the world, but rapid recognition of stroke symptoms can aid in treatment and recovery.
• The American Red Cross offers a variety of courses that teach advanced skills across a wide range of emergency topics. Learn more at: http://www.redcross.org/take-a-class/Learn-About-Our-Programs
The Red Cross also offers a First Aid App for smartphones that can give you step-by-step instructions for many different medical emergencies. You can download it for free at: http://www.redcross.org/mobile-apps/first-aid-app